Job Opening: Boras Corp Seeks Legal Counsel
This is a rare opportunity to not only work for one of the most successful baseball agencies in the world, but also take a role in a legal capacity. Boras Corp., founded by baseball agent Scott Boras, is looking to hire someone to handle litigation and transactional matters in the position of “Legal Counsel.”
The job posting indicates that Boras Corp. is looking for someone with at least three years of experience handling litigation, trial/oral advocacy experience, an understanding of labor law matters and fluency in at least one foreign language (with preference for Spanish, Japanese or Korean).
Newport Beach, California is where the job is based, and Boras Corp. is offering salary and benefits that meet or exceed those that are standard in the baseball industry. “Stability and loyalty unmatched in baseball — a large percentage of our personnel can measure their tenure in decades,” states the job posting.
You must be licensed to practice law in California to be considered for the job.
Duties will include:
- Oversight of various litigation matters and interaction with/supervision of outside counsel;
- Development and preparation of salary arbitration cases, theories, and materials;
- Participating in negotiations over Major League and minor league player contracts, endorsement agreements, and equipment contracts;
- Participating in internal corporate oversight and governance;
- Interacting with attorneys from the Players’ Association, who share our commitment to defending and enhancing player rights and benefits;
- Consulting with and advising company executives on strategies, tactics, and risks involved in novel situations as they arise; and
- Communicate with personnel throughout the company regarding legal issues, answering questions and providing legal guidance.
Perhaps this job posting does not interest you. Luckily, The Sports Biz has highlighted many other job openings that may be a better fit.