Job Opening: USA Hockey Seeks Associate Counsel
USA Hockey is looking to hire an associate counsel who will assist the organization’s general counsel in handling legal matters. The position is to begin in the first quarter of this year at USA Hockey’s national headquarters in Colorado Springs.
A minimum of five years of experience in the practice of law in a multi-practice of full-service law firm is required. Alternatively, candidates may have had a substantive legal role at a sports or membership-based organization to qualify.
Job duties will include:
- Work closely with General Counsel to provide legal advice to USA Hockey and related entities, and staff and volunteers, on a wide range of topics.
- Help manage the day- to-day legal activities of USA Hockey, including guidance to staff and volunteers on proper procedures and responses to USA Hockey membership.
- Support day-to-day operation of SafeSport program, including providing legal advice on the handling of reported incidents.
- Assist various USA Hockey departments in identifying potential risk issues and legal exposure to navigate a proper and efficient outcome.
- Draft and/or review agreements and contracts executed by USA Hockey, including corporate sponsorship agreements, event hosting contracts, hotel and facility rental agreements, vendor service agreements, etc., as directed by General Counsel.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key USA Hockey and affiliate officers and volunteers.
- Facilitate dispute resolution with affiliate organizations, local programs and members.
- Work with volunteer members of the USA Hockey Legal Council and its chairperson.
- Work with USA Hockey’s outside legal counsel on matters as appropriate.
- Possess extensive knowledge of USA Hockey bylaws, rules & regulations, the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act and requirements of the United States Olympic Committee and U.S. Center for SafeSport, and work in conjunction with the General Counsel and other USA Hockey staff and volunteers to ensure consistent application and interpretation of all such governing documents.
Not interested in this particular position. The Sports Biz has posted many other job opportunities in the past.