Job Opening: University Of Southern Mississippi Seeks Director Of Athletics
The University of Southern Mississippi is one of only forty institutions in the United States that is accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. It is also one of the few currently with an opening at the top spot of its athletic department — athletics director.
The job posting indicates that candidates must have a master’s degree in a related field or a law degree as well as eight years of “progressively responsible experience” in athletics administration, which includes experience at a managerial or executive level. The position, based in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, reports to the President of the university and is part of the University’s Executive Cabinet.
Job duties for the University of Southern Misssissippi opportunity include:
- Leads and motivates a diverse team of coaches and professional staff to develop and implement strategies to achieve University and departmental priorities and goals. Follows human resources best practices to recruit, retain, and develop talented coaches and professional staff.
- Develops and executes strategies to engage with USM faculty, staff, and students across all campuses and teaching sites to promote the University’s sports programs in Hattiesburg and along the Gulf Coast.
- Manages all aspects of budgeting for the Department of Athletics, to include working with other senior officers of the University to achieve a balanced budget and implement strategies to generate and sustain new revenue.
- Complies with all federal, state, NCAA, conference, IHL system, and University policies, procedures, and regulations, to include Equal Employment Opportunity practices and gender equity/Title IX regulations. Fosters a culture of compliance and ensures compliance with all applicable regulations throughout all levels of athletic staff. Self-reports suspected violations and works with the Office of General Counsel, outside legal counsel, and the Office of the President as appropriate to address related issues.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to the growth and development of student-athletes and works across departments to ensure effective student-athlete recruitment, retention, and progress toward graduation while maintaining compliance with all applicable NCAA and other regulations.
- Oversees the construction, renovation, maintenance, and use of all athletic facilities, including practice and training spaces, training and competition equipment, competition venues, event and hospitality areas, and grounds.
- Develops and executes strategies for increasing ticket sales, identifying corporate sponsorship opportunities, and managing comprehensive fundraising initiatives that effectively engage business and industry leaders, alumni, donors, and fans. Ensures that all sponsorship and fundraising efforts are coordinated with the University of Southern Mississippi Foundation and Southern Miss Alumni Association as appropriate.
- Facilitates strong two-way communication with the Office of the President, system and government-related agencies, conference staff, faculty, staff, students, advisory committees, alumni, donors, community leaders, and fans, as appropriate.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson for the Department of Athletics. Oversees the development and execution of athletic marketing plans and media and public relations efforts, to include marketing athletic events; enhancing the national reputation of the University; developing community outreach opportunities; hosting engagement events; cultivating relationships with local media; and promoting partnerships between the University and the cities of Hattiesburg, Long Beach, and surrounding Pine Belt and Mississippi Gulf Coast communities. Ensures that all related efforts are coordinated with institutional branding and community outreach strategies.
- Maintains current knowledge of new trends and innovations in collegiate athletic programs across the country.
Not interested in this particular job opportunity? The Sports Biz has posted many other job openings in the past. Check them out!