Job Opening: Topps Seeks Assistant General Counsel
Just below the General Counsel position, the person who fills the job opening for Assistant General Counsel at Topps will be in charge of handling a variety of intellectual property, licensing and commercial activity. For those unfamiliar with Topps, it is a creator and marketer of physical and digital sports cards, entertainment cards and collectibles.
Topps wants someone who has six-to-eight years of experience at what it considers a “top-tier” law firm or in-house legal department. That person should also have experience working with consumer products, sports and entertainment, and digital and ecommerce platforms.
The candidate must be admitted to practice in the State of New York (where the job is based) and it is preferred that he/she has experience working across a global business.
Responsibilities of the position will include:
- Support all business groups (sports & entertainment, confectionery, digital) on all commercial legal matters.
- Ongoing management and oversight of Topps’ global IP portfolio, including trademarks, patents, copyright and other IP.
- Anticipate and identify issues and risks, recommending potential solutions, and identifying trends in the areas of law relating to intellectual property and licensing.
- Provide legal guidance for issues that arise in connection with prospective and ongoing commercial engagements, including IP consultation, contract interpretation and advising on contractual and IP implications.
- Conduct preliminary trademark and patent searches through various databases and collaborate with business and legal teams (and outside counsel) to prepare, file and prosecute trademark and patent applications.
- Negotiate and draft complex commercial agreements, including license agreements (outbound and inbound), distribution, manufacturing and supply agreements, technology agreements, sponsorship and talent agreements and all other types of agreements related to the multiple business divisions.
- Advise business stakeholders with respect to various types of IP-related contracts, including for example, confidentiality, consulting agreements, product development agreements, etc.
- Manage intellectual property matters involving various issues including 1st amendment, fair use, parody and similar matters.
If this does not interest you, then we still have many other job openings that we have posted on the site.